Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Boss is Born to Run (from his bands)

Yay this is officially my first book review.  I've never done anything like this before.  Bear with me, I'm prone to typos and improper language.   I was an accounting major, which may explain things.  I don't even know if there's a proper way to review books.

My first read of the year was "Bruce" by Peter A Carlin.  I checked it out of the Sierra Madre public library.  There's nothing better then reading for free and supporting your library.

First off, I grew up a huge Bruce Springsteen fan.  I was a child of the 80s so my first experience was with "Born In the USA."  So, I was really interested in getting a behind the scenes look.

The bio portrays, at least in my opinion, Bruce as kind of a jerk.  Starts bands, then with the wind changes direction, breaks up bands, fires people etc.  So that came as a surprise to me.  So be warned if have a squeaky clean image of the boss you want to maintain.

Over all, the story is pretty heavy on the early days.  One bit I've found odd is that the writing seemed a bit inconsistent.   It reads like someone telling a string of stories, one after another, but they don't flow as smooth as it can.  Some stories can be in great detail that makes you feel like you were there, others briefly mention a situation and then move on.

If you're a foot note junky you'll love it.

Overall, I'd recommend reading it if your a fan of Bruce Springsteen.  I'm a bit of a slow reader so I got bogged down in the details and it took me some time to get through it, so if you're not a fan you should probably pass.

Thanks
dave

newlifeinbooks@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment