Saturday, February 9, 2013

Templar Knights and a one eyed Indiana and details

Book three of the year was Sword of the Templars by Paul Christopher.  I haven't really read more then a couple Templar related books but I've always been fascinated by Medieval era things.

The first you'll notice is the author uses tons of details for everything.  He comes across as an obvious history buff and weapons buff in general.  I myself, can't say I'm thoroughly knowledge on those subjects so I have to take them at face value.  I found that the details were pretty easy to brush over to avoid getting bogged down in it and stuck.  I also didn't feel like I lost anything out of the story.

There were some pretty cheesy eliminates to the story.  The main character "Doc" Holiday a retired vet teaching at West Point.  Really Doc Holiday?  After he's uncle dies (a scholar type, a la Henry Jones), Holiday and his second cousin once removed (a strange relation ship, who's name escapes me at the moment),  goes take care of his estate.  They come across this medial sword with Templar ties and then get caught up in a world of arson, murder and conspiracy.  And Nazis, why does it have to be Nazis.  Well at lease he didn't hate snakes, yet.   All of this while traveling around the world on a mysterious source of unlimited funds.  You do have to suspend some belief, but then again, you usually do with these genre.

Oh, did I mention Doc has one eye.  I'm sorry but at one point he was chasing someone through a forest and "had to keep one eye on the ground" to avoid falling.  So if he kept one eye on the ground, how did he see where he was going?  It cracked me up.

Over all it was an ok read.  I wouldn't recommend it unless your a die hard Templar fan and want to read something in that genre.  I won't be reading more from this author, especially the next book about Doc.  There has to be better ones out there.  Drop me a note if you know one, I would like to read something better.

Thanks,
dave

newlifeinbooks@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment