Saturday, February 9, 2013

Storm Front- Dresden Files Book 1 Genius Wizard?

Book two of 2013 was Storm Front The Dresden Files (Book 1) by Jim Butcher.

I picked this up at my a cool little used book store in Arcadia, Ca call The Book Rack.  I love that place.  Be sure to go in with books to sell back or you'll end up with a giant library of books.

Storm front was my first foray into the world of fantasy, paranormal, detective genre.   It  takes place in a modern city setting and centers around Dresden, a local wizard P.I. sort of guy.  He's called in to help the police figure out how a couple died by having their hearts explode from their chests.  So of course it had to be magic related.  There's sex, vampires, wizards, demons, and the mafia. So, a little something for everyone!

Dresden is a funny guy.  I could never tell if he was a complete idiot or an actual accomplished wizard.  He seemed to get his ass handed to him a bit, but he kept reminded us how many years of experience he had and how great he is. He's no Gandalf, to say the least. Overall he still remains a very likable character.

Since it seems to be a series of books, it does leave plenty of room for growth and exploration.  So if you find yourself loving it you will be entertained for a long time.

I found the read to be great fun, kind of a fluff read.  You can get through it pretty quickly, its short enough to where you just chug along at a good pace and try not to think too hard about it the story comes together.

Unless your really adverse to all things "Fantasy" I'd pick it up for a read.  Especially for a vacation, flight etc, where you just want some cheap thrills.  It's good enough to read another one in the series, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to find it.  Overall, read.

Thanks,

dave

newlifeinbook@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment